Welcome to the Southern North Island Wood Council, providing a collective voice for the forestry sector in Taranaki, Whanganui, Manawatu, Wairarapa, Tararua and Wellington.
["error","(#12) description field is deprecated for versions v3.3 and higher"]
Wood Council members in this region:
Own or manage about 164,000 hectares of forest;
Are involved with 3 Regional Councils and 17 District or City Councils;
Employ about 1050 people in a range of jobs;
Produced about 1.7 million tonnes of logs in 2015;
Generated about $187 million worth of log sales revenue;
Underpin a further 2200 jobs in wood processing;
Have over 5500 stakeholders.
What we do
- Enable health & safety initiatives for members and support programmes and wellbeing in the sector.
- Provide a common focus that represents the view of its members and the industry as a whole.
- Take a proactive role in improving our regions perceptions of the forest industries.
- Have a role in influencing industry employment and quality training with a special focus on careers information for schools and school leavers.
- Ensure the industry adheres to best practice guidelines.
- Contribute to regional foundation plans to ensure infrastructure is well equipped to support the industry.