Welcome to the Southern North Island Wood Council, providing a collective voice for the forestry sector in Taranaki, Whanganui, Manawatu, Wairarapa, Tararua and Wellington.
Southern North Island Wood Council is communicating with members about the current market conditions in New Zealand and effects on our contractors and companies.
If you need assistance please click the link below for more information.
Wood Council Awards 2020 cancelled
All 2020 School Events cancelled
Wood Council members in this region:
Own or manage about 164,000 hectares of forest;
Are involved with 3 Regional Councils and 17 District or City Councils;
Employ about 1050 people in a range of jobs;
Produced about 1.7 million tonnes of logs in 2015;
Generated about $187 million worth of log sales revenue;
Underpin a further 2200 jobs in wood processing;
Have over 5500 stakeholders.
What we do
- Enable health & safety initiatives for members and support programmes and wellbeing in the sector.
- Provide a common focus that represents the view of its members and the industry as a whole.
- Take a proactive role in improving our regions perceptions of the forest industries.
- Have a role in influencing industry employment and quality training with a special focus on careers information for schools and school leavers.
- Ensure the industry adheres to best practice guidelines.
- Contribute to regional foundation plans to ensure infrastructure is well equipped to support the industry.